Saturday, June 27, 2009

This post is late in coming as, for some reason, I was never contacted about class starting via my university registered email (even though every other piece of mail about the program made it's way to me). No matter, I'm catching up as best I can.

I graduated with my MLIS in May and have been anticipating this wonderful opportunity to meet my passion for media arts for quite a while now. In doing research into the destination countries of England and France I came about a funny little book called Do's and Taboos Around the World (1993). Being very paranoid of embarrassing myself as a typical American I jotted down some interesting items etiquette while abroad. Most are pretty common sense, but let's all see if these are true or not!

England
-We generally say "You're welcome" after a "Thank you". The British answer a "Thank You" with "Thank you".
-User the term "British", not "English"
-Don't be early, but be prompt.
-Chocolate is an appropriate gift when visiting someone, but never white lilies as they symbolize death.
-Do not use conjunctions, slang, etc.
-Do not start a conversation with "What do you do?"

France
-If you know French, don't use it. They just prefer you speak English if you are absolutely proficient. However, it's fine to say greetings, thanks and toasts in French.
-Unlike America, use a light handshake.
-Do not bring roses or chrysanthemums when visiting someone for dinner or the like.

Well, I tried to prepare for the trip as best I can (however, I'm still mortified about missing the chat time and assignments on Blackboard!).

Most of all I'll miss this little guy while I'm gone from my home of Costa Mesa, CA. His name is "Early". My boyfriend and I rescued him just 2 weeks before I left. I hope he's doing well adjusting to his new home as I am overseas. :)

Early
Axtell, R. E., & Parker Pen Company. (1993). Do's and taboos around the world (3rd ed.). New York: Wiley.

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    The food arranged into an object- did you do that or was it served like that. I found your profile very interesting. Your movie selection was interesting to read. Have fun this summer.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete