Thursday, July 2, 2009

A good day of sightseeing for the librarians...

I know there is a mix of people reading this blog, but a good majority will be librarians. Today was packed full of sights of particular interest to anyone in the profession.

Today was spent at Oxford, a place ripe with location shooting from the Harry Potter series of films, as well as a myriad of others. Of special interest was The Bodleian Library. Photos are not allowed in the actual library, so I cannot reproduce the magnificence for you here but you can watch the movies.

In an attempt to pick up any creative remnants that might exist in the ethereal plane I ate at The Eagle & Child pub. J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis would meet here weekly to eat, drink and discuss writing. Below is a small peek inside.


Here is Ms. Penny posing next to the Eagle & Child menu for me.

Lastly I visited The Kilns, home to C.S. Lewis in Headington, just outside Oxford. The home has been restored thanks to the C.S. Lewis Foundation's hard work and voluntary hours. The gardens are magnificent and, while the home seems small from the outside, the floor plan seems to be a maze of bedrooms, studies, etc.

This photo was taken of the replacement wardrobe thought to be the inspiration behind Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Framed on the wall is a photo of the supposed original.

1 comment:

  1. Connie Hardy-
    Heather, we of course went there (conversation spot of the Inklings) for dinner and I tried the Pimms, compliments of Dr. E. What a great day yes. And I never in my lifetime thought I would get to Stonehenge. The aromas there were tremendous.

    ReplyDelete